1. Home >
  2. All Categories >
  3. Science & Mathematics >
  4. Other - Science >
  5. Resolved Question
jlhlmbrg jlhlmbrg
Member since:
April 28, 2008
Total points:
72 (Level 1)

Resolved Question

Show me another »

Whats the static thing called at science museums that you can touch and it makes your hair go up?

its usually silver and round and people with long hair who touch it look really silly like when you rub a balloon on someone's head
2n2222 by 2n2222
Member since:
January 17, 2007
Total points:
12,878 (Level 6)

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

A Van de Graaff generator. The original purpose was considerably more serious: it could accelerate sub-atomic particles fast enough to create various sorts of radiation. Now they're used in science museums for the purpose you describe, though just what the educational benefit might be has never been adequately explained.

Science museums don't do science very well, I'm afraid. I worked up some better demonstrations for the vdG at our museum, but nobody was too interested; they do things the way they've done them for forty years.
100% 1 Vote

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (4)

Answers International

Yahoo! does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Click here for the Full Disclaimer.

Help us improve Yahoo! Answers. Send Feedback